Export from SketchUp
In this tutorial, you will learn best practices to export a 3D model from SketchUp for use in cmBuilder.
- Use Layers to filter elements by and category and remove nonessential element
- Right click > Explode to split objects into constituent parts to delete nonessential elements from the viewer (save as new file in this case to keep original file intact)
- Select File > Export > 3D Model
Once again, there are two options when exporting from SketchUp:
Exported SketchUp models can have varied results, and one format may yield better results, depending on the model.
1. Export to .FBX (recommended)
- Save as type: FBX File > Options
- Check Triangulate all faces
- Check Swap YZ coordinates (defines orientation of model upon import)
- Note: If a face appears one-sided (i.e. only visible from one side) in cmBuilder, check Export two-sided faces
2. Export to .IFC
- Save as type: IFC File > Options
- From IFC Export Options, uncheck the export functions and select the IFC Elements to export (or simply export all)
- Note: If a face appears one-sided (i.e. only visible from one side) in cmBuilder, check Export double-sided faces