How to create structures using the massing tool
In this tutorial you will learn how to create structures and buildings within cmBuilder using the massing tool.
- Go to Buildings, followed by Massing
- Click Detailed /Simple Massing and then click Add Volume
- Place points of the polyline to define a closed shape, Click Done
- Define number of floors, floor height, color, and elevation if applicable. Click Confirm
- Note: The total number of floors must be defined upon creation, as it is currently not possible to add floors post hoc
- Edit shape of the massing for single or multiple floors
- When editing, click the three dots on the floor where the change occurs
- Choose to edit 'Current Only' or 'Current and All Above'
- Edit the shape as desired by moving, creating or deleting points, and click 'Done'
- Use the Model Browser to hide/show floors for sequencing
What is a Detailed Massing?
- A multi-level 3D shape that can be used to represent buildings and structures, roads, or any other object
- Can be sequenced with milestones with hide/show
- Typically used for something within the scope of work
- Edit height, color/opacity and position by by double clicking the massing (or right click, edit)
- To edit height - select the cog to adjust and pull handles to suit
- Click 'Apply to All Milestones' to set the color and opacity
What is a Simple Massing?
- A single-level 3D shape used to represent surrounding buildings, obstructions or any other object
- Cannot be sequenced; is either, hidden or shown for the whole simulation
- Typically used for something outside the scope of work