In this tutorial learn how to sequence a 3D building model to simulate its' construction.
- To control the visibility of a 3D model, access the model browser located in the top left corner of the viewer.
- Use the timeline function to sequence building models and their components between milestones.
- The timeline function allows you to specify the first and final milestones where the model elements will be visible.
- Create a milestone for each section of the construction that needs to be shown.
- In this simplified example, we will sequence by level, but you can divide it into smaller steps based on the actual construction.
- The level of detail in the sequence depends on how the building model is split into its constituent parts, allowing each element to be linked to the timeline individually.
- Open the model browser and navigate to Building Models.
- Select the first node in the tree to choose the entire model, then right-click and choose "Temporary hide."
- Next, go to the first milestone where you want to display the building model (e.g., foundation).
- Right-click on the foundation model element in the tree and select "Begin from this milestone" or use the shortcut Ctrl + B.
- This action will apply to subsequent milestones as well.
- Use relevant temporary resources to indicate the progress at this stage (e.g., concrete trucks, workers, etc.).
- Move to the next milestone and reveal the next part of the building to be constructed (e.g., Level 1).
- Note that both the foundation and Level 1 will be visible at this milestone.
- Repeat this process, advancing through the milestones, and linking the model elements from the tree to the timeline to create the construction sequence.
Additional Ways to Sequence a 3D Model:
- Use the lasso selection method to select elements in your model and sequence them in the timeline:
- Firstly, check if temporary hide/show is applied to the model, it will be displayed as a highlighted blue banner at the bottom of the model browser.
- Click the close button to reset all temporary hide/show settings.
- To select multiple elements in the model, hold Ctrl on your keyboard and drag the mouse pointer across the model in the viewer.
- Right-click on the selected elements in the viewer and choose "Edit model element."
- In the timeline function, use the "From" and "To" dropdown labels to define the first and last milestones visibility of selected model elements.
- Tip: If you want to hide selected model elements from the timeline, click "Disconnect from timeline." (The element can still be temporarily shown if needed.)
- You can also hide the terrain to have a full view of the model, then:
- Right-click on the model element directly in the viewer and select "Begin from this milestone."